0 Articles
0 News
0 Properties
0 Page
0 Blog

Start Up Checklist

 1.      Licenses

a. City Privilege Tax License  Contact the Tax Collector’s office at City of Grenada, 108 S. Main Street Grenada, MS 38901. Phone number:  662-227-2719. Items to have for application process include:
  • Business name
  • Business location
  • Type of business
  • Inventory evaluation
  • Fixture evaluation
  • Number of employees
b. County Privilege Tax License  Contact the Tax Assessor's office at Grenada County Courthouse located on the Square Grenada, MS 38901. Phone number: 662-226-1741. Items to have for application process include:
  • Business name
  • Business location
  • Type of business
  • Inventory evaluation
  • Fixture evaluation
  • Number of employees
c. State Business License Apply online at http://www.dor.ms.gov/.  Items needed to complete application process:
  • Business name
  • Business address
  • Type of ownership
  • FEIN number
  • Basis of reporting
  • Where records are maintained
  • Date business will begin
  • Number of employees
  • Date Mississippi taxable wages first paid
d. Federal tax registration
Before hiring anyone in your business, you must first obtain a Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN). This will be used to identify your business payroll and income tax returns. An application form SS-4 may be obtained by contacting the IRS at 800-829-1040, by visiting the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) nearest you or applying online at http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html
e. Unemployment insurance 
Businesses with 1 or more employees for longer than 20 weeks per year or pay wages over $1500 in a calendar quarter are required to participate in unemployment insurance.
You can apply online at: http://www.accessms.mdes.ms.gov or call Mississippi Department of Employment Security at 601-354-8711.
f. Worker’s compensation registration is required if employing five or more employees. Contact insurance provider to inquire if they provide coverage or visit http://www.workerscompensation.com/insurance/ins_info.php, for providers. Apply online for the proof of coverage: http://www.mwcc.state.ms.us
g. Incorporation registration can be filed online at this address: http://www.sos.ms.gov or by contacting a local law firm.   
h. Alcoholic beverage license if alcohol is sold on premise you can access the online form at: http://www.dor.ms.gov/ABC/Pages/default.aspx. This form must  be printed and mail to address on form.

2.      Building Permits

Remodeling, additions, or construction in the City of Grenada requires a Building Permit. Contact the Planning and Zoning Office Building office, 108 S. Main Street Grenada, MS 38901. Phone number is (662) 227-3410. Items you will need to know to complete process:
  • Project details, i.e. replace electrical, remove walls, new plumbing, additional space, façade renovations
  • Contractors bonded for City of Grenada
  • Estimated cost of project
  • Estimated weight of rubbish
  • Detail drawing of electrical schematics

3.      Inspections

For specialty businesses (example – restaurants, gyms, day cares, etc.), adding electrical, or gas lines or on non-municipal septic system you will need these inspection certifications.
  • Health inspections information and instruction as well as frequently asked questions on how to obtain a permit can be found at: http://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/30.html. The forms can be obtained by contacting the Grenada County Health Department, 1241 South Mound Street, Grenada.  Phone number (662) 226-3711.
  • Electrical inspections are required when adding new lines or meters. To determine who serves your location contact Entergy, 57 W. Nat G. Troutt Rd. Grenada, MS 38901; Phone number (800) 368-3749 or Tallahatchie Valley Electric Power, 250 Power Drive Batesville, MS 38606-3010; Phone (662) 563-4742
  • Gas inspections are required when installing new meter or additional lines. Contact Atmos Entergy located at 1456 S. Commerce St., Grenada, MS 38901. Phone number (662) 226-1881.
  • Non-municipal septic system inspection is required.  Contact City of Grenada Water & Sewer Department, 116 South Main Street, Grenada, MS 38901-2622. Phone number (662) 227-3415‎.

4.      Insurance

The importance of proper insurance is often overlooked by small business owners. If used correctly, insurance can help reduce the uncertainty under which your business operates. Insurance can help keep your business operating under adverse circumstances and help improve your credit rating. Talk with a qualified insurance agent to discuss the needs of your business.
Insurance checklist:
  • Fire
  • Group life
  • Automobile/truck
  • Crime insurance
  • Business interruption
  • Rent insurance
  • Business life

5. Business Bank Account

To open a checking account, visit your bank of choice. You will need your FEIN or sales tax number to open the account. Each bank has specific requirements for opening accounts.
Disclaimer: The Grenada County Economic Development District does not recommend or endorse any institution listed above. The resource links provided are solely for information purposes to help in locating potential resources for your business.